06 January 2010

Day 1, 2, & 3 of the Quest for Glory

OK,

So here we go. I will attempt to chronicle my preparations for a third marathon and my 2nd KDF Marathon, although there is some discussion of a trip to Nashville for the Country Music Marathon on the same day.

Days 1-3 are in the books...I'll update a mileage log at some point. I've done, running and walking, the falling miles 4.5, 3.5, 3.5. The walking on day 3 was only for cool down, but tightness in the muscles across my lower back (more accurately my upper buttocks) has proven problematic and I've, so far, managed to remain smart about how hard I'm pushing.

My previous marathon trainings have been undertaken with a solid mileage base and injury free. This one, the base is still in good shape, but the injuries are looking to join me from day one. Rather than a negative, this may be a positive, as I may be less likely to overtrain.

Right now I'm doing all my running (so far, all has been treadmill, not due to weather, but due to other logistical issues too lengthy to go into at this time)at an 8:30 pace. My marathon goal pace is 9:00 miles. Slower than my last effort, but I blew that one up in the first 10 miles by running to fast, so I believe by being conservative I may actually be able to shave 10 more minutes off my time and hit the 4 hr mark, without the pain and agony of my last 26.2.

That just about brings us up to date on this diary or my pursuit...wait I'm a guy...let's call it a journal, that makes it sound a bit more manly...

Today the back finally loosened up after 2 miles, and currently I'm not too sore or pained. So high hopes there.

One training note from today, just an opinion, but guys should not take a loofa...heck I don't even know how to spell it...to the gym for showering. Again just my humble opinion, but, "c'mon man!"

1 comment:

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

loofa?!! ha ha!! that made me laugh! thanks!

good luck! you'll be great! : )