22 December 2008

K.I.S.S.

K.I.S.S., the acronym for, "Keep It Simple Stupid", can be applied to lots of things in life, and with some exceptions, is perhaps the best way to go about things.

If your exercise regimen is too complex, it can become a hassle, a burden that you want to put down. That's the beauty of running. A pair of shorts, a pair of shoes, and you're ready to go. Even though I've moved to treadmill use in recent months, running still constitutes the majority of my workout and my lifting routine consists only of the tried and true basics. Easy to cram into an hour each morning.

Yesterday was our church's Christmas service, or was it. No cantata, fancy candlelight service, nope, just your standard Sunday morning service with the sermon being taken from Luke 2. (The Birth of Christ - Remember Linus in Charlie Brown's Christmas, telling us the real meaning of Christmas).

Why no fancy service? As our pastor explained, many challenges have faced our congregation this year; illness, death, financial and employment concerns. Why throw another thing onto members (and some key leadership people) and clutter up Christmas?

The message that Chris delivered was equally simple, no he isn't a "Simpleton", it pointed out the simplicity of that first Christmas, uncluttered by all the things we've hung on it throughout the centuries. Within 4 hours, that message would echo in my heart and save my Christmas.

I had to wrap up my Christmas shopping yesterday for my wife. No I didn't procrastinate, the opportunity to get it done over the past month just hadn't existed. I went out with only a vague idea of what I might get since I'd already gotten her what I hope will be a "huge" surprise. Also on my list was the task of finding something that the kids could give to her, from them.

I bounced from store to store, finding nothing but dwindling inventories and picked over specials, battling traffic, but finding everyone I met to be pleasant and polite. Anyway, as I left Target, I began to panic. This was my third store and seemed to be my last chance of finding that perfect gift (I know what you're thinking..."She has me, what more could she ask for.) while staying somewhat within my unofficial/rarely observed budget. (She's worth a lot more than I can afford, but no one tell her I said that.)

As panic swept over me, I stressed, I worried, and then Chris's sermon popped into my head. By allowing myself to become stressed, I was stripping all the joy from the act of giving. I remembered and consciously acknowledged that Christmas isn't about my mad last minute dash, but rather its about the birth of a Savior....that plain...that simple....and in that moment, Christmas was special again, not because of me or mine, but because of Jesus Christ.

Luke 2:8-14 (KJV)
8And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.
9And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.
10And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
11For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
12And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
13And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,
14Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

1 comment:

Brian said...

Great post. I appreciate your pastor- good focus!

Next year, our church will be involved in a Christmas conspiracy:
http://www.adventconspiracy.org/

I wish I had found it sooner.

Peace on earth. Goodwill to men on whom God's favor rests.

- Brian