08 May 2008

A painful confession

When I started this blog, it was, and continues to be my hope that through recording my thoughts and experiences and opinions, that someone else might be able to draw a pearl of wisdom and perhaps avoid my pain or experience my joy.

It is with trepidation that I humble myself to share this, but perhaps others will avoid what may be a huge mistake for me. While I offer no excuses, I do realize that given my extensive travel schedule and time spent away from home, there are some who will say it was bound to happen. Honestly, I didn't think it would.

I travelled to Columbia, SC yesterday after nearly 2 and a half weeks working from my office. This morning I discovered I'd forgotten some things and after Googling, found a running store near downtown, or so I thought.

The 1 mile walk was more like 1 3/4 miles, and I walked it in a dress shirt, sport coat, and carrying my Swiss brand laptop backpack and assorted documents. Temps were around 80. I arrived at the running store, which turned out to be in Five Points, an entertainment district next to the University of South Carolina's campus and housing area. Five Points has been the ruin of many of USC's football players in recent years. A good place for bad things to happen.

Anyway I met my new "friend" at the store. I made my purchase and asked the clerk what restaurant he would recommend in the area. I headed out with my "friend" in tow and walked down the street to the restaurant. I allowed this "friend" to accompany me and although feeling a bit uncomfortable I shared the same bench in a booth during dinner. Now it was time for the long hike back to downtown Columbia and my hotel. You guessed it, I brought my "friend" along, feeling awkward and troubled by the new relationship, but also curious. My current relationship had grown comfortable and predictable, like an old pair of shoes.

As we walked back through the quiet streets, even the setting began to put me at ease and conjure up old feelings. Those of you with roots down south can at least appreciate what I'm saying when I tell you that I was greeted at nearly every turn by the smell of blooming honeysuckle vines, decaying magnolia leaves, mossy earth, and that unique smell associated with venerable old homes with hard wood floors and peaceful front porches. Surrounded by these sites, sounds, and familiar aromas, I began to rationalize my decision. I'm far away from home. I have a need. Other's have done it. I was on a slippery slope.

Needless to say, we met at a running store, and back at my room I had exercise clothes, so it was decided we'd use my membership to hit the YMCA next to the hotel and workout together. Back at my room I discovered that I had left my credit card at the restaurant. A call confirmed they had it and so I changed clothes and together we ran back to get the card. At this point I was doomed.

The empty student housing conjured up that feeling I remembered as a school boy on the last day of school. All the promise held by a new summer. Unknown and exciting. The few remaining students enjoying the live entertainment in the Five Points, couples spending time together seemed rather poignant to me. The combined effort to conquer the steep hill climb back up into the USC area brought us closer and the uneasiness I felt earlier seemed to fall away. The setting sun on a warm southern evening was too perfect a setting and served to further melt away my inhibitions. We were back at the hotel, and in we both went.

I won't go any further at this point, believe me when I say that at this point I accepted the inevitable and attempted to make peace with my decision to turn my back on a relationship that had seen me through some stormy times, some cold nights, and heaven knows, many ups and downs. No doubt that at this point you know where this story is going and don't need the details of the entire evening.

All this angst because I forgot to pack my running shoes. The store didn't carry New Balance 768's and in my hour of need, I caved and purchased a pair of Asics GT-2130s. I only hope I haven't destroyed what has been a long and supportive relationship. I turned my back on the shoe that has carried me on every mile save a few ran on a free pair of another brand. A shoe that has seen me set my 5K pr, complete 2 1/2 marathons, and supported me as I slogged my way up daunting hills in 2 marathons. Don't make the same mistake, pack your shoes. Perhaps with time and counseling.....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks- I enjoyed the smile at the end. "Perhaps with counseling..." I'm a serial shoe-adulterer. Always want the newest model, the next thing.

I'm not liking the Asics 2130, though. I have the trail model of the shoe and it's a bit too cushioned in the heel for me. Stresses my AT's too much.

But my Brooks Adrenaline's are about worn out. Such is the life of a runner...

Thanks again,
Brian

Mir said...

Haha, loved this post. I can relate--I am pretty much married to my Saucony Guides, and I feel guilty trying out Brooks Infinitis and possibly some Mizunos...but my heart will always belong to the Sauconys. They understand how it is. :)

Anonymous said...

At such times we must instead decide to abstain then to compromise our integrity.

Wait, this was about some stupid shoes??

-Chris G

Bev said...

Hope you will get your relationships worked out. I will try to learn from your example, but I have a wondering eye.