06 May 2008

Lesson From the Marathon #3-Mostly Rhetoric

Psalm 23:4
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
Whether it is life, your walk with Christ, or a road course marathon, you're going to travel a varied terrain. Tall hills, short hills, small hills, long hills (Sounds like a Dr. Seuss book) and flat stretches that seem too few and far between.
We've become conditioned to dread the up hill climbs, to despise the effort required. I learned something during this marathon that I think will a) help me in the next marathon and b)give me a different perspective on my life and faith.
Keeping it short and sweet. The up hill climbs require a lot of effort, and can tax us, but we can keep our eyes focused on the top and know there is an end in sight. There is a reward for the effort. Flat stretches are a nice chance to recover, it's the down hills that stink.
I used to think descents were the reward for the stressful ascents, but in truth they are the worst thing to experience. No longer are you climbing towards a goal, your headed into a depth, and guess what, God willing, you'll have to climb out again. What I discovered was that my legs were pretty well conditioned for the climbs, it was the downhills that shredded them.
Somewhere around mile 18 it felt like both of my quads, just above the knee cap, exploded. The rolling hills that began somewhere around mile 14 or 15 had taken there toll. There were no major hills at this point in the race, small ups and downs, but the effects of the downhills on the front of my legs was anything but small. By race end, I found I was actually preferring the uphill climbs. It was the downhills I began to hate.
So no more hill work on the treadmill, from now on I'll practice not just running up hill, but also down.

No comments: